30 Dec 2023

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

Monday was the first Christmas day, most of the shops were closed except the Christmas market ! I made a lazy day, answered Christmas wishes, I haven't got a single in paper, all per email or Whatsapp. That's very nice, because Christmas cards are expensive, the stamps are expensive and the card takes 3 weeks to arrive, or even longer ! 

In Belgium there is no second Christmas day like in other countries, and in the UK is boxing day. When my English was not so good, I wondered why the British people are boxing on Christmas ? I really couldn't understand until my friend Ann explained me that the word "Box" is a carton which contains gifts and not Boxing shows ! They always teased me with my boxing ! 

We had quite a busy week. Every afternoon there is entertainment for the residents. If I like it then of course I'll go. This time we were supposed to pull a piece of paper out of a bowl and there was a word on it and we were supposed to draw it and the others had to find out what it was. I've never seen so many artists and we really had a lot of fun. I had to draw a box. Sometimes it took some time to find out what the drawing represented.

 
 
Here is Amandine who is in charge of the well being of the residents. She is an adorable girl and we get very well together. I also try to help her, it is not an easy job.  

Then the birthdays of the month were celebrated with coffee and cake. A choir had been hired who sang very well French songs, some of which also exist in English. The atmosphere was great, some people were dancing, and one saw a lady in a wheelchair wobbling back and forth, she wanted to dance so much. The man took the wheelchair and swung the lady and the wheelchair round and round, it was supposed to be a "rock and roll". How we laughed! And the lady seemed to have found her youth again.

unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of them.

But that was not all, on Friday we were invited to a Cocktail by the manager, there was champagne, appetizers, chips etc. I was lucky I sat with two women and a man, all of whom were all approaching the 90, but very funny. One told me her whole life that her husband was a drunk and, thank God, died early. She never married again but had a few lovers. You couldn't believe it when you looked at her! Then we all got a beautiful cushion which had a plaid inside. Rosie tried it out immediately when I came back.


Again I forgot to take pictures ! Then we had lunch, fortunately, as some of the residents had some glasses too much and were very funny. Finally I thought these oldies (me included)  have more fun then the youngsters. 

So my week went by very quickly. I feel very well here ! No shopping, no cooking, no cleaning, what a paradise !

The only worry I still have is with my landlord, he wants me to pay damages which I had never done, really ridiculous. He probably thought that old woman will pay. There he is wrong ! He doesn't know anything about it and takes me for a fool. 

 

 

 

more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.
 
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. It's good to hear you have been enjoying yourself. This was definitely a good place to move to. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boxing Day in British countries is a brilliant idea. Resting after the intense work of the last few days is essential and if the weather is lovely, that rest can be done on the beach. Another thing - Boxing Day is the day of big sales in major shops, so the shops can get rid of the excess produce they accumulated to sell in December.
    And sports fans go crazy on Boxing Day eg international cricket matches

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as though you're kicking up your heels and having a good time.
    Bah, humbug to the landlord - hope that gets sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've had a wonderful week! It's nice your place has activities you can choose to participate in or not. Happy 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like there were lots of fun activities for everyone where you live. Rosie looks quite comfy on the new cushion.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !