18 Feb 2023

FFF -THREE DAYS IN LORRAINE - FRANCE

On Monday I started to prepare the things I would take along for the three days in France. It took me quite some time as I was very slow and had to sit down from time to time. Fortunately Tuesday I felt good enough to join my travel group. Always better then staying home. The day started with a catastrophe I got up very early to have enough time to have my breakfast and get dressed. Suddenly I realized that I had taken the departure time for the wake up time and had exactly 10 min to throw my staff in my little bag pack take my keys and took my car and arrived at the bus when he just called me. Fortunately I had done everything the day before so I just had to close the door and take my car. 

In the the coach I was able to collect myself again and say hello to the others. We were 13, but that brought us luck because the weather was sunny. There were two men on board, (+ the chauffeur), one was a widow's brother and the other was the only widower in the whole group. So to speak an unicum. 

I couldn't follow the whole program, because I walked so slow and got easily breathless but I made the best out of it. While all the others visited a museum of old or rather antiques irons (!!) I remained outside and took a little sunbath. The people were very friendly and I chatted with a few, and then the others came  out, one said angrily "why we women had to look at these old irons, we know them, show them to men, that they learn ! " We all laughed.


In Longwy we had our lunch, the restaurant was amazingly full, it was the St. Valentin and also school holidays in this area. The best was the decoration on the toilet seat !

We were all full til the top and were happy that we could sit down in our coach. Then we stopped again to visit the Municipal Museum of Enamels. Again an opportunity for me to sit on a bench and enjoy the sunshine. Enamels I had seen enough in my life. Don't be surprised that I mostly sat on benches, but my target was on the third day the city of Metz where my grandpa was station master in 1918.

At 6 pm we arrived in Amnéville, which is a holiday center with an annexed animal park.  

this was our hotel. It looked very nice from outside but the inside was more than simple ! I mean I had a bathroom, but no fridge and no kettle and for more then one bed there was no room only for very skinny people. An English or American would have gotten a nervous breakdown when he saw the the "Breakfast buffet" ! 

Breakfast buffet. Fortunately there were croissants and jelly ! And also hard boiled eggs (like stone !)

I skipped the supper I had still enough from the lunch and went to bed. And I slept ...... for 11 h, non stop. Don't know when this happened to me last time ! After breakfast they all went to the animal park, but I preferred to stay in the hotel, it was very humid and misty and cold. I thought I will go when the sun comes out in the afternoon. Which I did.

 

The Zoo was just opposite the hotel and seemed rather small to me. I wondered what my travel companions had done in there from 10 am on ? 


I started walking and noticed that most of the animals which had been fed, were laying now in the sun and did their siesta. I had gotten a voucher to pay my entrance, the lunch and a coffee, but I couldn't find a restaurant not even a Snack it was all closed ! So I wandered back, found a little snack bar with delicious Belgian waffels and ate that. Then I returned to the hotel and sat together with a few others, who were half frozen and regretted not to have gone to the zoo in the afternoon. 

The supper was in the "Buffalo Grill" and was very good. We really enjoyed our meal. I left before the others because I wanted to be fresh the next day to finally see the station where my grandpa had worked so many years ago.



 Unfortunately we couldn't stop and I only could take pictures out of the window. I thought it looked more like a church to me then a station. But fortunately there is Google and I found a nice photo for me !

at least now I can say that I have been there !

After having done a tour around the whole city, visited the cathedral of Metz, in which I just went in and out because it was like entering a deep freeze I sat again outside on a huge place where people just gathered for a manifestation and it was full of police cars and police. They want payed retirement from 62 years on, most of the European countries get their retirement between 65 and 67 years ! 

Before the crowd arrived I quickly went into the restaurant where we should have lunch. The others soon came after me and after the cold cathedral they were happy to be in this warm restaurant and we enjoyed our lunch. 


In this building was the restaurant.


 



more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.
 
 
 
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you managed to take your trip, Ingrid. It sounds as though you did the sensible thing, reserving your energy and enjoying the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been awesome to go by the place where your grandfather was Station Master in 1918 … this is a proud heritage. When I visited France several years ago they were protesting at the Louvre, angry the government at the time was attempting to bump up the retirement age by a couple of years, even though it was/is lower than in most countries, including Canada at age 65, slated to go up to 67 in future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Always better than staying home". Well, for me, in cold weather, there's nothing better than staying home as I don't fancy to catch a cold. You had, however, an important goal, that of seeing the Metz train station where your grandpa worked in 1918. That's important enough to leave home on a cold, winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely trip! Glad you got there on time! That's funny about the decorated toilet. That's so good you got to see the station where your grandfather was station master.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like you adjusted the tour activities to suit yourself and that's a good thing to do. The Metz station is very grand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you were well enough to join the group for the trip.
    That station at Metz was huge and amazing. What a heritage that your grandfather was station master there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you made your bus! That would have totally frazzled me. The architecture is so lovely! And that station, that is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow glad you caught the bus. It sounds like you were sensible and paced yourself well. A shame that you didn't stop at the station but at least you have been there now. Sorry that it is taking you so long to get over the bronchitis.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !