11 Mar 2022

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

Monday was a "historical" day at least for me ! No Masks anymore except in Hospitals and some other health institutions and no vaccination certificate either. 


I generously gave my masks to Rosie to play with, but she was not interested at all. 

I had to do some shopping for her I ran out of litter, and was surprised to still see people mostly vintage still wearing masks. Or they didn't know, or they are still afraid to catch the virus, some people are afraid of their own shadow. I enjoyed to walk around without mask !

The sun sill continued to shine I would have liked to lay on my beachbed on the terrace, but it was far too cold still only 9 or 10 °C outside. As on TV on all channels they were talking about the war in Ukraine and I had seen more then enough, I started to read my blog from the very beginning in 2006 and selected the most interesting posts to have them printed and made to a book. That will take some time but it is also a nice occupation, until I realized that I became more and more morose when I saw the both of us in the past and now today where we could have such a nice live together, but no, destiny made that he is in a home and I at home ! Some people just don't understand us, we have always been a very solid team and let each other the freedom he needed, that we didn't stick together all the time or that I travelled mostly alone, was not "normal" ! We both prefered to be not normal but we needed each other and were happy 52 years of marriage and not being bored doesn't happen often. Unfortunately the last years were very difficult.

As usual I went to  visit Rick. He wasn't in his room so I had time to tidy up a bit and found a new pair of grey slippers. When he came back I asked him from whom he had gotten the slippers, he said they didn't belong to him but to "them". Fortunately I knew that his Whistfriend had brought them and I asked him if Monica had visited him, he couldn't remember.  Finally I told him to try them on, but he didn't like them he wanted red once ! (red is his favorite color) I tried to explain him that red slippers were difficult to find and that he should wear the grey once as they were a gift  ! Reluctantly he put them on and they fitted perfectly. Then we went joining the others to listen to the "News" Each time it is a little worse to have a discussion with him. This time I had to find out what telephone I should give him instead the can of alcohol free beer ! I was exhausted when I came home. It's difficult to convince somebody who always says no, or when he doesn't find something, it was stolen.  Most of the time I find the "stolen" things hidden somewhere or in his pockets. 

Nicole called me in the morning, she had an adventurous night behind her ! She fell out of her bed, but this time she had the emercency bell on her night table. She pushed the button got a voice who asked her all kind of questions before calling her daughter. The problem was she couldn't get up again ! She waited and waited, while her daughter hadn't heard the phone as she had closed all doors in her house and had no telephone in her bedroom. Suddenly Nicole still laying in the floor saw her son standing there, lifting her up and put her on her bed. 

She asked him how he managed to get in as she has an alarm and the spare key is locked in a special box also secured. Nicole's son is a man of no hesitations, he picked up the next stone and smashed the box, took the keys out and opened the door to help his mother.

It was 3 am and all neighbors suddenly appeared to know who had made this hullaballoo at this time ! When they knew they all promised to check on Nicole in the morning. The son left and Nicole tried to sleep after all this mess. 

She asked me to come over to keep her company which I did with pleasure, we sat on her terrace, she still looked a bit shocked, but otherwise was completely normal. Her daughter came too she had made the shopping for her and sat a while with us, and then I returned home..

On the way back I saw the first signs of spring 



Another week was over, and something new happened in our mini household, Rosie for the first time in her life discovered the TV ! I mean she completely ignored the screen and what was going on, birds and mice didn't interest her, but this evening for the first time she saw something moving and tried o catch it ! It was a butterfly 

The arrival of a butterfly !




more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.

8 comments:

  1. I think our mask mandates have been lifted in most places, except hospitals and nursing homes. I still wear mine in very crowded places, because the pandemic isn't entirely over and a lot of people are still dying from it every day, and my husband and I have health issues that would make getting Covid not a good thing. But it's still nice to feel not so restricted.

    I'm glad Rick was finally willing to try on the new slippers. I'm sorry about Nicole's fall and glad nothing was hurt. It's good her son figured out a way to get in, but I guess now she'll have to replace her box or figure out another hiding place.

    Yay for signs of spring! That's funny about your cat noticing the butterfly on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Masks mandate for schools here in our city is over! My grandkids are so happy.
    Wow. Nicole had quite an adventure. It's good that her son is a man of action.
    Oh how I would love to see those lovely flowers and signs of spring! Enjoy them!
    Rosie--butterflies are fun to chase. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although the mask mandate has been lifted in England we are still wearing them here in Scotland. Sorry to read about your friend Nicole, glad her son was able to help. Rosie made me smile noticing the TV and the butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our mandates are being lifted gradually over the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today is the first day here in British Columbia with mask mandates lifted. I can't wait to go out and see people's smiling faces again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear Nicole was ok after her fall. It must have been scary for her. It must be difficult visiting with Rick and then looking back on better times. Life doesn't always go the way we want it to. We no longer have to wear masks and it's no longer required to isolate if you test positive of course they expect you to do the right thing and stay home but there's no rule that says you have to! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness that was a scary situation for Nicole. I always worried about my Mom when she lived on her own. Glad her son was able to get into her house. Our mask mandates are all lifted but a lot of people are still wearing them and that is ok. We never know what is in other's lives such as having to care for vulnerable people or they may vulnerable themselves. My dog is obsessed with masks and steals them out of my purse all the time. He would gladly have taken them seeing Rosie was uninterested. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Nicole! And I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles with Rick. I haven't read your blog long enough to know when he was still living at home. It must be difficult for both of you. Isn't it nice to see people's smiles, without those darn masks?

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !