15 Mar 2016

FIELDS NOT FOR LONG ANYMORE

When we moved from Brussels to Waterloo in 1975 it was to escape the busy city and live in a small town, without even a supermarket. It was surrounded by farms and fields.

After 30 years of peace, at least in our corner, the city expanded and expanded and has now become a town with all stores, supermarkets, boutiques and shops the same you find in Brussels.  The fields started to be decorated with houses, the farms were sold and we have got the impression that everybody wants to live in Waterloo.

Driving home I discovered that in our area other fields have probably being sold to promoters and they prepare already the prolongation of a street called "Drève de 10 mètres" which means a way of 10 m, it certainly has to change the street name ! 



an abandoned farm house






the country lanes will soon become streets for cars



An old farm, now a beautiful house



Still a little corner



but not for long





and at the end of my way I discovered this big house, which seemed to me had grown like  a mushroom. I had never noticed it before, normal it is brand new.



more participants here

14 comments:

  1. That is the trouble with population growth. The open land gets gobbled up for housing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the same here. We keep hearing about the housing crisis but all I see in London are these huge luxury apartment blocks that are sold to foreign investors and do nothing to solve the problem for ordinary people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Progress, I suppose, but somewhat sad. I agree with Diane and Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so very cool I love to drive around and always pay attention to what is there and what it could have been. Thanks for sharing
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. More buildings. I wonder how many old offices are not used anymore. They could make some really nice apartments in those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our area is getting busier, too. More stores, more houses. I hope not to see too much development. I sure prefer quiet environment where I can spot deer and bunny from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in the same neighbour since I was born, and I can tell it has changed in the same way you posted about!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a shame that the fields will be gone! The same thing happened to us down by the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buildings all over the place. Everywhere is becoming so crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! There have been so many changes haven't there? And so much new development. I'm sorry your peaceful place is gone. I miss fields when they are filled with buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gattina - Waterloo's history will be gone, as too the archaeology that's still hidden. I hope they've got Regulatory Orders for anything found to be examined by the scientists ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post and elegant photography ~

    Happy Weekend to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. It has to be a bit strange to live in the same place where you have lived for all those years and find it all changed around you! That is quite an impressive house, that last one. (Not for me, I'd have to hire a few maids to take care of it!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the landscapes of your area ! fiels and farms ! Hope Waterloo won't be a big big town in the future ! It's so charming, now !

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !