4 Jul 2024

HODGEPODGE JULY 2

 1. It's a big week in the US of A as we celebrate Independence Day. Do you have any special plans? How will you mark the day? BBQ? pool-lake-beach time? fireworks? homemade ice cream? If you're not an American you can tell us what's happening in your corner of the world on Thursday.

Nothing special, we don't celebrate an Independence Day, as we have always been independent, except of course the once who sailed to America because or they were very poor, or they were politically persecuted or they married an American just as my aunt my mother's sister in 1950. 

2. What's your favorite 'All-American' dessert? 

That's a very difficult question ! All the deserts I like I find them in the UK or in Germany ! I am not a desert fan, but I like chocolate and blueberry muffins, which I had discovered in Madison/Wisc in 1971 when we made a tour around 8 or 9 States with my aunt. Years later I found muffins also in Belgium and other European countries.. especially the UK.

Blueberry 

Chocolate

3. Does that patriotic feeling come easily to you, or are you having to work for it more these days? What's something that makes you proud to be a citizen of your country?  

I have no patriotic feelings it's impossible for me, I feel European but that doesn't not yet exist as a one single country with different States, like  the USA. 

I am born in Germany, have a German passport, but never lived there as an adult. Since 1959 I live in Belgium, married an Italian, our son is Italian and German and married a Dutch Girl. My Grandson is German and Dutch. Therefore I am not patriotic at all !

4. Your favorite 'patriotic' movie? Favorite patriotic song? 

No patriotic song, except I know one in Italian, because of my husband who loved it like most of the Italians, they are very patriotic. If you meet one Italian in a dessert, in half an our all Italians being there get together ! That's really funny. The Germans when they hear speaking German they run away.

5. One simple pleasure on your July 'bucket list'? 

Enjoying sunshine ! It rains since months and I don't want to become a fish !

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I am still thinking about traveling, there are days I feel like before Rick's passing and all the moves and then there are days where after ten steps I am breathless. What should I do, of course I would take a special insurance, so this is for the moment in my mind. July and August are usually too hot in the Southern countries, but with this moody weather it can well be that it is hot in the North and cold in the South !





5 comments:

  1. I think it's so interesting you have connections to so many European countries, although I suppose it would make it a little harder to feel patriotic towards one country in particular. I have a hard enough time being a Canadian who is an American citizen. So funny about Germans running when they hear German being spoken! Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since retiring, I have missed my income, academic reading and going into the City three times a week. But mainly I just miss the company of peers. So I decided after the 3 years of COVID ended to arrange coffee mornings 3 days a week at the biggest cafe in my suburb. It doesn't compare with American Independence Day, but I love the conversations, book exchanges and women's plans for their next life phase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very nice that you found an occupation after retirement ! Nothing is worse then being bored the whole day !
      I can't comment on your blog, there is no link !

      Delete
  3. Today is General Election day in the UK so there will be nothing in the media apart from endless analysis and speculation and then for weeks afterwards there will be dissection of the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also a Canadian married to an American, and living now int he USA....sometimes it IS hard to be patriotic but since our countries are friendly its OK to be loyal to both!

    I hope you get plenty of sunny days to make up for all the rainy ones...and I think some travel might be a good thing to do once in a while.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !