18 Oct 2024

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

I was sick the whole week ! The first three days I was hanging in front of my computer or the TV. I dug out old little crime story series from the 80th and wondered how we and above all,  the police could live without a mobile phone and had to run in the streets or drive through woods to find a phone mostly ringing at doors, and if they were lucky the people had a phone ! The fashion hadn't changed that much, but no computer was standing on the desks. Everybody smoked like chimneys police included and the cars looked more square. Was interesting to look into the past ! 

From Wednesday on I must have felt better because I couldn't remain in my room anymore the ceiling was falling on my head. And suddenly I had the idea of my life, I thought if I sit besides the reception I will see people and still be inside in the warmth. I grabbed my tablet for some scrabbles and went to the reception. I installed myself comfortably and immediately people who came in asked me what happened. 

Our receptionist and coordinator between guests and residents was pleased to see me with my tablet, took a chair and scrabbled with me ! Nurses, and other personal followed and suddenly there was a whole group around me, laughing and joking. From time to time a family member came and asked for some information, and often stayed with us for a while. I had a real nice afternoon and at least I was not alone "suffering" in my room. 

On Thursday instead of hearing adult chatter I heard little kids ! I had forgotten that they came for Trick & Treat visiting the residents for Halloween. I was surprised that in this old part of Waterloo people actually knew Halloween, while in the new part nobody knew. Those who wanted the visit of the kids had to put a paper pumpkin on their door. With me not feeling well I didn't put a pumpkin, but I saw them from the window !

On Friday I didn't feel better, I was so weak, I only was "normal" when I was sitting and didn't move. But in the afternoon to drink my coffee I went again with my tablet to the reception and watched our man for everything carrying all the belongings of Jeanine a resident who was here with her husband over to her new room. The husband had passed away and she found an open ear with me. She is only 4 years older but is so old fashioned. I always get the impression to talk  with  my mother, my grandmother was more modern. But slowly, slowly she appears in trousers (not in jeans !) because women have to wear skirts. When I told her that I was always running around in Jeans she was scandalized. Now she sees me in sweat pants and comfortable trousers just as the others do. Even our 101 year old is in trousers. But she is kind and although we have nothing in common we do most of the things together.  

Today she had to move because she had to leave the convent, part of the castle, because it will be transformed and all flats transformed into a one person's room. Her new room is just like mine, but on the first floor, unfortunately not with a view on the park but she has a little place with tiles and grass and then a hedge. She could use it as a little garden. She did everything herself, and I told her that she shouldn't do that, if the management wants to move her it's their business, she pays enough per month. But she accepts everything and doesn't dare to open her mouth and protest. 

I hope next week I will be in full shape again, fortunately I hadn't missed anything important, our activities had still 3 games to do with the other Waterloo residencies and they were really stupid. Elinor deplored that I wasn't there when two ladies showed up who had invented these games. I think it's better so because I would have said what I thought and that next time they should come with a sandbox and little shovels !



more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. You are like a student who is above the class they have been placed in and need to go to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be managing the place next! I hope you're feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so sorry you’ve been so sick! How fun to have the kids come around to trick-or-treat. The impromptu Scrabble gathering sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always have managed to surround yourself with people who laugh and smile.
    We often watch old murder mystery tv shows. You're right. How did the police communicate without cellphones? But then, the crooks and robbers and murderers didn't have them either.
    I giggled when I read that last meme about the right to stay silent.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !