26 Sept 2024

HODGEPODGE SEPT 26


1. It's officially fall y'all...in the northern hemisphere anyway. What are three of your favorite things about this particular season of the year ? 

Some people find autumn beautiful, not me, I only see the leaves rotting on the ground.

No favorite things ! I hate fall ! The leaves fall, my mood falls and the temperature fall ! The right word for this season ! Although I think we will not have seasons anymore, it's still very warm for fall ! If it continues like that, we could celebrate Christmas with a barbecue ! 

2. Your favorite fall fabric-denim, flannel, tweed, corduroy, tartan, polar fleece, leather? Do you own something made with your favorite fall fabric? 

The whole year long I wear the same clothes except flannel and polar fleece, there is no big temperature difference between summer and autumn or winter. We have roller coaster weather. Hot, cold, hot, cold ... very difficult to choose your clothes !

3. According to Everyday Health here are ten healthy fall foods- apples (flavonoids may improve brain health), pears (for heart friendly fiber), cranberries (helps your body fight oxidative stress) winter squash (for eye health), pumpkin (another great source of Vitamin A), leeks (an anti-inflammatory food), brussel sprouts (full of fiber and anti-oxidants), sweet potatoes (loaded with Vit A and C), parsnips (keep your bones healthy with Vit K), and broccoli (may help prevent cancer). How many on the list do you eat on a regular basis? Which one is your favorite? Which one gets a big no thanks from you? 

Broccoli Italian style

I would say broccoli and (of course) Brussels'sprouts 

4. Tell us about the last time (or a recent time) you experienced a wave of nostalgia? 

For the moment I can't tell about a wave of nostalgia, I try by all means not to be nostalgic until a wave of nostalgia would hurt me less. It's only 2 years that Rick is gone.  

 

5. Sept. 22nd was National Daughter's Day. Like mother, like daughter...does this idiom ring true for you? You may answer in terms of your own role as a daughter or, if you have daughters, then your role as a mother of daughters. 

I have no daughters, I have one son. He has become a nice guy and although we have sometimes different opinions in general we have a very good relationship. We see each other on the phone and he comes to visit me about all two months. I live in Belgium and he in the Netherlands. 

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I think I told you about my alcoholic neighbor. The more I know her, the more I like her. We can laugh together and have nice conversations. Although she drinks so much, you don't notice it at all, only when she has to "refuel" again around four o'clock, she look very tired and her facial features are tense. She then disappears into her room. She is very generous and helpful and doesn't harm anybody. I couldn't ask for a better neighbor. It doesn't bother me that I open a bottle of champagne for her every morning and she then drinks it during the morning, it makes her happy and at 87 years she has nothing to lose.


4 comments:

  1. It would be rather unpatriotic to dislike and not eat brussel sprouts. I don't have to be patriotic to Belgium and so I can say I don't like brussel sprouts. Broccoli is very nice. A happy neighbour is good and at 87, what does it matter if she drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brussels sprouts with chestnuts are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is much beauty in the changing autumn leaves. Two years is a very short time when compared to a near lifetime but fall and winter comes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the changing seasons. We don't get a harsh winter here, but the temperatures and especially the color is so pretty. I'm glad you have a good relationship with your neighbor. It helps I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !