5 Apr 2024

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

It seems that we have a life long contract with the rain. If my room would be round I could take myself for a goldfish. 

On Monday was the first of April and it's the use in Belgium to cut out a fish (how appropriate) and stick it secretly on the back of a "victim", who runs around the whole day with the fish on the back. As I have my lunch in my room, my back remained fishless. 

To make us laugh our entertainer had a pack of cards in his hands and read jokes from them or let us guess something. Unfortunately he was unsuccessful. We made an effort to laugh, but the older residents found them stupid and at the end nobody listened anymore. Poor Kim realized that he was wrong and that the jokes were not very funny for the third youth. So he stopped and we had more fun talking together, and having coffee and cake. 

The next day some Waterloo schools have the tradition to sent their 3 primary classes to the castle, when it rains they look for chocolate eggs in the rooms, if the weather is nice they search in the park. Of course it rained and I woke up at 8.30 hearing children laughing and chatting and thought I was in school !

I jumped out of my bed and looked out of the window and saw a group of little ones waiting to be let in !  

Here they are arriving

I think it is a cute tradition, but just not for me, first I am half asleep in the mornings and then I had to think of little Rosie who would get a nervous breakdown because all the little ones would want to pet her ! To be sure that no intruder entered my room I locked the door. Later I saw that on the doors where grandmas wanted to chat with the kids hang a paper egg as welcome sign. This lasted for 3 days ! Today there was the 3rd class and they were quite tall !

 
I bought little curtains for my bathroom, because the store doesn't close and everybody can see inside. Now it's finished and it looks nice. I put only on half of the window so that I still had the view on the park. 
 
As I was already out I visited a friend who had lost her husband all of a sudden last week. It was really a shock for me, because they had invited me two days before his death and now I wouldn't see him anymore. When Rick passed away they were there for me and invited me for lunch or a coffee. I would never have thought that a year later he would be gone too. 

Fortunately nothing else special happened, we played "UNO" instead of Bowling because ..... guess .... it was raining !

I took this photo this morning and thought it would be more beautiful with some more light and we are behind with the leaves too !



more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.
 
 
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Nice idea to have some youngsters in the castle. Shame about the entertainer. Hope you get some sunshine soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to have little ones visiting - nice to hear their chatter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun to have the school children visit for an Easter egg hunt. When I was a special education preK teacher, we would go to the part of the Academy where the retired nuns lived (I worked on the grounds of a former covent/Catholic church) and we would go room to room trick or treating. the nuns loved it. If they didn't want to participate they kept their door closed with no jack o lantern on it. Those were fun times for my little students.

    I hope you get some sunshine soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a good idea to have signs on the door to let the children know which rooms to go to. We've had a rainy week here, too, but thankfully Easter Day was beautiful. That's too bad about the entertainer--humor is such a subjective thing. I do the same thing with my bathroom curtain--it's only half-way up from the bottom with a tension rod. I don't want others to see in, but I do like having the top open to see outside. That's sad about the loss of your friend's husband. We truly never know how much time we have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our days here have been so rainy that everything is flooding. Of course, in the summer, we will wish for more rain.
    Your views of the gardens are lovely, even in the rain.
    I am sorry about your friend's husband who passed away. At least you can be there to visit with your friend (and understand how she is feeling).

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to have school children come to the castle for an Easter egg hunt.
    The constant rain must be quite depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though we know that one spouse has to pass away first, it is still unthinkable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice thing to have kids come to the castle to hunt for eggs. One of my good memories from elementary school is meeting a couple of really nice ladies on one such trip. Hope you get some sun shining soon!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !