23 Oct 2015

FRIDAY's FAVE FIVE

1. On Monday afternoon my son and Toby returned to Amsterdam. The weekend had been quite nice until the very last day where I realized that our son just can't get used to the fact that we are not as fit as we used to be and can't do things anymore he wants us to do. I remember I had the same with my parents when suddenly everything was too much for them, only with them it happened far earlier. The rest of the day I just tried to distress and watched TV.

2. It was cold and grey again but I still hoped it would clear up. Nicole and I decided to take Charlie for a walk if the weather would allow it.



but it didn't ! It started to rain. Poor Charlie has an eczema between the toes and had to suffer a treatment. He was very brave except for the little bootie he was reluctant because it disturbed him and he wanted to take it off.

3. I had to do some shopping our fridge was empty after having fed 3 hungry men. Imagine that for the cheese fondue they had eaten 1.600 kg of cheese, one kg of broccolis, 500 g of little potatoes and 5 thick slices of bread ! Toby and I were orphans against them, although he has a very good appetite too !

4. I had to go to a shop near Ilona's so I popped in for a cup of tea. It was very cosy, she had lightened her wood burner and some candles. Outside the wind blow and the rain hit against the windows and before I left I took this pictures of autumn pleasures !



Where to put all these leaves ? and there are more and more every day !

5. I woke up with a running nose and my throat hurt a bit, apparently I joined all the others who have the same right now with this changing weather. I swallowed my pills and put spray in my nose and lay down and felt lousy.


above Monika, me and her sister Ursula, on the back of an uncle, me, Monika and Ursula

I don't know if twists of fate exists but I had one ! I wanted to call a friend named Monique and instead I dialled Monica, which was written just underneath. I thought that Mr. G. had translated the name into Italian. To my big surprise I heard a voice in German announcing her name. I got a shock ! I had dialled the number of my cousin, the only relative I still have, but I didn't even know that her telephone n° was still in our phone list ! She is the daughter of my father's sister and we grew up together just after the war when we all lived in my father's mother's house ! She was as surprised as I and then we started to chat ! We hadn't talked to each other since at least 15 years, not because we didn't want to, but we were both so busy and finally forgot and then time goes by so quickly. Since years I had wanted to call her but it always had been the wrong moment and it had been the same for her. Unfortunately we couldn't talk for a long time because workers were arriving in her house and so we promised each other to call us back ! There are so many events to catch up ! Her husband was the inventor of the  Brita Filter which has become famous all over the world. Now he is retired of course and their son has taken over.





more participants at Susanne at Living to tell the Story.

13 comments:

  1. Yes, children make you tired. I remember Brita Filters from years ago. You must make an effort to keep in touch with your last relative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a good thing to catch up with your roots...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How serendipitous to reconnect with your long lost cousin! I'm sure you'll have wonderful conversations when you call each other again.

    I love it that you can drop in on your friend and enjoy some coziness against the autumn weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat to have unexpectedly connected with your cousin! I've lost touch with all of mine except one of Facebook. Life just gets too busy.

    Glad you had a good visit with your son and Toby. We're slowing down, too, me more than my husband. I need to have some quiet time at home inbetween other activities.

    Poor Charlie - hope he heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love seeing Charlie. Sorry he has an eczema but obviously it's under control. Imagine that you contacted your last living relative by default! Great catching up again. I remember Brita Filters. Take care of yourself. Have a nice weekend. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another busy week -- hope your sore throat clears up -- changing weather can do that to me too. (Also, though your son will never understand this, being around little kids is a great way to catch germs. ) Nice to reconnect with your cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use a Brita filter! Interesting that you called your cousin, so glad you will now be in contact more often. The leaves are pretty, even on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful old photos, Brita filters are here too. You must keep in touch with your cousin. The fallen leaves are so pretty but I would not want to sweep them up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not kept in touch with any of my cousins. Maybe I would have done if the internet and mobile phones had existed way back then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's an amazing story about your cousin. How lovely for both of you!

    That little tea shop with the woodburner and candles sounds so cosy!

    Hope your cold is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Brita filter! I have one in my kitchen. What a small world. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun twist to end your post with. Love that. And I enjoy looking at the pics of you when you were just a kid. The fondue sounds so good I'm sure I could have given those guys a run for their money and eaten a good portion myself. LOL. Poor Charlie. Hope his paws feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How nice to reconnect with family! I hope you will stay in touch. But did you ever ring the person you were supposed to ring?

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !