2 Jul 2015

GEOGRAPHY

Letter G

According to Mrs. Wikipedia (to me it's a Mrs and not a Mr.) Geography stems from Greek γεωγραφία, geographia.  The first person to use the word "geography" was Eratosthenes (276–194 BC). At school I didn't like Geography and it remained γεωγραφία to me and on top I didn't know this Mr. Eratosthenes, at that time I only knew Mr. Aristoteles Onassis and his affairs.

With the time I learned and now I know at least the continents and countries. But when I started to travel in Blogland and wanted to know where and in which country my blog pals lived, I sometimes had to do a real Mrs. Marpel job. Not always with success.

Some people think that everybody knows where his city or village is located ! So when somebody writes about cities like Takem, Roelands, Middlefart, Penistone, Intercourse, or Birds in Hand etc and nowhere on the blog you find the country, it becomes very difficult to know where these places are. It gets even worse when I have to find out the name of the city, when under a photo the title is :  "Summer in the city", "Crochet around town", "This old house" etc.

I have to admit that ever since I started my travels through Blogland, my geographic knowledges have very much improved !  I caught up everything I missed during Geography class, during which I preferred to dream about traveling to other countries and continents or chatted (whispered) with my neighbor.












Jenny Matlock
more participants at Jenny Matlock's Alphabet Thursday




6 comments:

  1. can't pronounce or spell γεωγραφία.would you have like Geography if it was easier to spell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit my history and geography has been improved by Blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Yandalls sisters are Samoans, a Pacific Island and have a good voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had to learn so much about how the earth was formed in our Earth Knowledge (literal translation for the Dutch for geography) classes, that I zonked out as well. But ever since I became a busdriver, it has started to be interesting again. Finding out where everything is and getting there is a challenge in itself, but understanding how the earth was made and such has gotten more interesting as well over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the fun of expanding geography knowledge through blogland--vicarious travel! And yes, I do wish writers would identify the places of which they write.
    fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogging has really taught me all I know about world geography! I used to sneak a comic book into school and read it inside of the geography book when we were supposed to be studying .

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !