Usually the first thing when your child grows up is to teach him to be polite. Usually it starts with learning to say "Thank you" ! The child becomes polite, but some people have forgotten this first rule of politeness when they are adult, and just don't say "Thank you" not even when they receive a card or nowadays a mail. So why do they teach their children to say "Thank you" if they don't do it themselves ??
There are lots of occasions where you have to be polite, you just can't say what you are thinking ! For example
- When I am invited to a party and somebody greats me asking for news about my son and I really don't remember this person, because I rarely recognize a face, I can't say : I have never seen you !
- When somebody asks me what I think about her new dress and it has horizontal stripes which makes her even fatter than she is, I can't say, you look like an oversized cow.
- When I meet people I can't stand at all in a public place, I still have to be at least polite and great them with a friendly smile (at least on my face)
- When I go to a funeral and I know that my friend is not sad at all because her husband died (she had wished his death at least once a day) I can't go to her at church and say : Youpee ! he finally is dead ! No, I have to make a sad face and hug her while she squeezes a tissue against her (dry) eyes.
- When I am invited for a supper and the plate really doesn't look very appetizing and tastes awful, I have to smile and pretend it is delicious.
- When I meet some VIP politicians of the city for an official event and I really cannot stand this guy I have to clench my teeth and shake hands with a friendly smile.
- When a grandma proudly shows me a picture of her grandson, I can't say : What an ugly kid !
- When I meet somebody in the street I haven't seen for a long while and think she really looks like an old wrinkled apple now, I say : You haven't changed at all !
- When somebody shows me his slides for one hour and you see only children or family in all situations and you have never seen them before, you can't just yawn and say "that's boring can't you stop and show me something more interesting ?"
- When a mother praises the extraordinary qualities of her child and it is just rolling on the floor in a tantrum, I can't tell her that he is a spoilt brat.
- When somebody tells me that she has nearly died again for the 1000 time I can hardly say to her, but you are still alive.
- When somebody tells me 3 or 4 times the same story I can't say "you told me that already 3 times" I just have to wait until it's over.
- When a notorious womanizer marries a girl I know and she says at her wedding "with me he will change" I can't tell her that I have serious doubts.
And now be polite and don't leave me unfriendly comments !
more participants at Jenny Matlock's Alphabet Thursday