7 May 2011

MY FIRST MOTHER's DAY

Tomorrow is Mother's Day in most of the European countries except in France, UK , Ireland, Portugal, Spain and Norway who celebrate earlier or later.

Yesterday I stumbled over a post where a young mother described her first Mother's day experience, which of course she had expected to be very romantic, as the baby was only 3 months old. She thought about some flowers, a little gift or something special from her husband as the child could hardly make something for mom at school or go in a shop and buy something ....

What she got was an electric toothbrush ! and her husband was very surprised that she wasn't very happy about this romantic gift.

This reminded me my very first Mother's day. At that time my son was 9 months old and also a little to small to celebrate his mom. So I thought he would be represented by his father and this would be a special day with a bouquet of flowers and maybe an invitation to go to the restaurant, but nothing happened. It was like all Sundays. When I told him my disappointment and when he saw the flowers I had bought for my Mother for Mother's Day, he really was surprised. He knew for himself that he was a proud Dad since 9 months but had completely forgotten that his wife had become a mom.

What did he do ? He opened the fridge took out a carton with fresh strawberries he had bought the day before and offered them to me as my first Mother's day gift. I was so furious and disappointed that I don't even remember what I did. I only know that he ate the strawberries himself.

At least he had got me something ! My father never offered anything to my mother that day, he said, that she was not his mother !








10 comments:

  1. Sounds like my family. Bill says I 'm not his mother but I must admit all my children remember me on mother's day, even the one I had adopted out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Priceless pictures! Mothers day always is the last Sunday in May over here in Sweden. My Mom never got anything from my father. ME, I'm not a mother so I don't even qualify.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're lucky to have forgotten what you did... ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great Mother's Day! ours was last week, the first Sunday in May...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, the last time I gave my mother anything for Mother's Day was 19 years ago! Most of the time I am not even in the country around this time and there was actually one year when I was in Denmark, my sister in Northern Ireland and my brother in England!

    I don't think my mother minds that much. As long as I remember their wedding day and her birthday she is fine with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We banned Mother's Day and never celebrate it. My parents started the custom of ignoring it and I carried it on and now my children do too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mother's Day is very painful for me. I do celebrate with Amanda, but then I cannot help but think of Katie and my heart breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for taking the time to write about this subject. I truly appreciate it. Ill posts a link of this entry in my blog. Thank you for creating valuable information about the issue. I’m an admirer of your website. Keep up the good job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lost my mother in 2007 and my dad in 2009, so these kinds of days are still pretty raw for me. Mom loved to get things for Mother's Day. Dad didn't believe in Father's Day, however, so we had to ignore that. LOL

    Sometimes my eldest niece and my youngest brother call me on Mother's Day. That always makes me feel good.

    Luv — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  10. I prepare with the pupils the gift they will offer to their mother and have to look for a card, too!
    We will fest it later at he end of the month!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !