14 Oct 2010

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS ?

Jenny Matlock
more participants at Jenny Matlock's Alphabet Thursday

D = Daylight savings

Each year there is Daylight saving day, once in spring and once in fall. For some people it takes days to get used to one hour jet lag although they didn't move out of their beds.

We have to spring one hour ahead in spring and fall on our back in fall. At least this way I remember what I have to do with the numerous clocks and watches in this house, not to forget timers, the microwave, and other household appliances.

Personally I don't really see the reason. For the moment we still have summer time and at 8 am it's still dark and it gets dark again at 7 pm. Now in fall at 7 it will be even worse and in the evening it is not better.

Where the heck is the saving for people like me ? I mean I am not a farmer who has to get up at 5 am to milk his cows, although he probably uses a timer for his milk machines now. I don't care if it becomes day at only 9 instead of 8. Even those who are locked in an office the whole day would certainly prefer to come back home when it's still daylight.

My cats don't know any daylight savings they claim for food at 5 or 6 summer or winter time, when I stumble half asleep to the kitchen, fill in the bowls and return into my bed. Babies are fed now when they scream and not at fixed times, they don't need daylight savings either.

And what happens in your daily life if you don't pay attention ?

In spring you have to wait for an hour when you miss your train. In fall you also miss your train when you are late and you also have to wait. Result despite daylight savings you have the same problem.

In Spring you eat your lunch at 12.30 in fall too, only it's an hour earlier or later, but that doesn't matter if you are only eating because it is 12.30 and not because you are hungry.

In Spring you go to bed when you are tired, in fall too and you switch off the light anyway.

In both cases you also have to get up every day.

Apparently this exists in the whole world, everybody complains more or less, some people pretend that they suffer of one hour daylight savings from fall to spring and when they are finally used to the daylight jet lag, it's time again to change for fall and they start to suffer again !

Since years politicians all over the world rake their brains to find out if there is any energy saving. Therefore they think it over from spring to fall and from fall to spring and save at least their own energy because nothing has changed so far.

Meanwhile we save daylight and sit in the dark, but there is no saving on our electricity bill !



25 comments:

  1. so true! Thanks for the giggle. I complain about the time change when I have to wake up an hour earlier. That was a great "D" word - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Ain't that the truth. When we lived in AZ that was one of the luxuries...they don't observe daylight savings. No jet lag, noforgetting the time. Just always the same. It did get a little confusing trying to figure out when my parents were an hour different than us, but what the heck. It was so worth it!
    (ABC Thursday visitor.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't observe daylight savings time in Arizona, but my bedside clock, which sets itself by the satellite doesnt know this. I have to take the battery out and completely reset it when the time changes everywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I am one of the complainers! I hate daylight savings. I always feel like I've missed an hour somewhere every time it changes.
    Great idea for a "D" word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Move to Hawai'i. We stay the same year round. We never spring forward or fall back. LOL It's great and I'll never understand why anyone else does :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. every year in the UK someone in the media suggests that we stay the time all year round - I am still waiting.. Judith (Precious Moments)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am dreading this time change. It has a horrible effect on toddlers. They really don't get that they need to sleep longer in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does anyone like daylight saving? The farmers I know don't - I really think it is for the golfers. Indiana just gave into the "peer pressure" in the last couple years and I hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, what a lot of trouble for nothing! I can't see why we need any more complications in our already too complicated lives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh geez, i dont know anyone who appreciates that whole "spring ahead" thing ... in fact it is one of the days of the year with the most car accidents and heart attacks so whats a kilowatt or two if we dont have to deal with the stress of the day...

    ReplyDelete
  11. interesting, love daylight saving reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. True - those electricity bills get worse and worse. I don't mind the daylight savings. Just part of a routine every spring and autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree. I just wish everyone in the US either did it or didn't. Not all of IN changes; none of AZ does. I can't keep track of who's how far behind anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My son lives in AZ, where they don't do daylight savings time. So sometimes we are on the same time, and sometimes we're an hour apart.

    It's confusing!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am with you on this. And this year we are a couple of weeks off of Europe so that messes things up even more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a hot topic here too. All the east coast of Australia does it EXCEPT Queensland. It is such a bother not all being on the same time, especially on the border where we have a two big towns joined together (Coolangatta QLD and Tweed Heads NSW) They are called Twin Towns, It is a big seaside tourist area and it drives the business owners bonkers when there is an hours difference from one side of the town to the the other.

    ReplyDelete
  17. At least this is the end of the year where we gain an hours sleep. I hate losing an hour in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well said! Can't see the reason for it either!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  19. I live in AZ, and we buck the trend. They say it's because it's so hot here. I say it's because we're stubborn. You decide!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the last comic strip. Boy, can I relate!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ...and as a former IT-consultant I'm very concerned by all the costs it emerged for all the data systems to be able to handle the savings time!!!!! Insane!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I see dogs and cats, I think of stories that will interest you.

    This week, our SPCA show in Australia, a dog was found 2 years after he was stolen. Thank goodness for micro chipping, the owner was found.

    Happy ending, almost, the Idiots who kidnapped/dogknapped him, left his to die with two other dead dogs. He suffered from epilectic fits.

    The owner was happy to see him, drove 4 hours to collect him. Slowly, the dog recognised the owner and his family, and his fits are under control.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The first time I was in Canada, I was like Thom, in Borneo, we had no day light saving. I went to Church, and the service was almost finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The first time I was in Canada, I was like Thom, in Borneo, we had no day light saving. I went to Church, and the service was almost finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the funny link to Alphabe-Thursday.

    I used to detest the time change when I lived back East. Here in AZ we never change...and it does get confusing because I forget that everyone else still does.

    This was really a clever "D"!

    I enjoyed my stop here very much.

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !