8 Dec 2008

FUN MONDAY - Christmas time

Odd Shots and Macro Monday are here



Mama Lang is our host this week and her topic is :

It's the Christmas season, and I want you to tell us what are your three favorite Christmas Carols and a picture of your favorite Christmas "thing". It could be a Christmas tree, or your mantle, or a church, you in a Santa hat.

The only "thing" I really hang on are my German Christmas traditions, which of course I had to combine and change a little with the Italian once of Mr. Gattino. He loves his crèche, I love my advent wreath and Christmas tree !

I don't have any favourite decorations or Christma Carols. When I was a child we sang "Silent Night, holy night" standing in front of the tree and then only we were allowed to open the gifts. This was always on the 24th around 6 pm. We also did this when our son was little but today we don't sing anymore, because then the night is not silent or holy anymore because we start to laugh like crazy ! So a Christmas Carols CD replaces our lovely voices !

The time before Christmas is called "Advent" time in Germany and four sundays before Christmas we put up a wreath with 4 candles. Each sunday one candle is lightened and when all candles are lit, it means Christmas is there. The trees usually are put up 10 days or 2 weeks before Christmas not earlier, when I was a child it was put up only on the 24th morning. Not before ! We did it usually 10 days or one week before.

Each year I create my own "wreath" which is not really a wreath and this is for me the most important "thing" during Christmas time.



The 2006 wreath



2007



and this year

18 comments:

  1. A lovely tradition!
    (I promise I wouldn't laugh when we sang!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your table wreaths and I promise I won't laugh if I hear you sing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful wreaths!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your table wreaths are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beautiful Gattina. And what a lovely tradition!!!

    Happy Fun Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your table wreaths, you did a great job on all of them. Advent is one of our traditions also Here in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beatiful table wreaths.

    We start Christmas way too early in this country. Two of my local radio stations started playing 24/7 Christmas music in October.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are lovely, Gattina!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful decorations Gattina..
    Please try again to see the pictures on my blog..
    I know you are going to love the pictures..
    - Cheers Gisela.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are lovely wreaths...we have an advent wreath in church every year, and I enjoy watching it be lit.

    We don't do our tree until less than a week before Christmas. That way we aren't sick of it and it isn't dead by Christmas morning.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We always had an advent wreath when I was a child. It was a big deal. I had one when Amanda was very small, but I didn't bring that tradition into my marriage. Of course, we have the one at church - and I enjoy that. Maybe someday I will have one in my home again - but right now is not the time. Of course, the wreath to me truly represents the coming of Christ... it's not just a countdown to the Big Day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good idea to wait before going into full Christmas battle, Gattina. I like your measured approach. That way we're not suffering Christmas fatigue even before the season begins.

    I can see how creating your annual holiday wreath brings out the creativity in you--each are lovely in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely decorations, I wish i could make my own, but I'm handless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely decorations! I didn't know the wreath! this is a nice tradition! Here the Christmas trees are selling since last week! So we can admire it for a long time to Christmas! and more because I will keep it the two first days of january.I am really in mod Christmas with the pupils! They open big eyes earing songs and stories on CD! Kids really love love Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Advent wreath comes right out of German Lutheran tradition. In Lutheran churches all across America there are Advent wreaths with one candle lit each Sunday in Advent until all four are lit. So you are in keeping with a very liturgical tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the wreaths that aren't really wreaths. What a wonderful tradition. What do you do with the wreaths after Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What lovely table decorations for Advent and Christmas Gattina!!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !