13 Jan 2008

THE JOY OF A GPS

don't miss the Ice Sculpture Exposition in Brugge


Mr. Gattino discovered a GPS in a shop to a very interesting price. We convinced each other that we absolutely needed it and how could it be possible that we didn't think about such an acquisition before. I am blind like a mole when it is dark, I have no sense of orientation and going somewhere always is an adventure because I never make it without turning senselessly around and he doesn't need it.

I would safe petrol that also is a good reason. In short in commun agreement we decided to buy it. He jumped (for once) in his car and shortly after came back with our new toy.

Then he started to read the instructions what I never do, I usually just push all buttons and see what happens.

After he had explained to me how it works, I used it for the first time to drive to my friend who also lives in a suburb of Brussels. My GPS lady (it is a female voice) told me where I had to turn right or left but suddenly she was mute and the thing didn't work anymore. Fortunately I knew the road and arrived anyway.

To go home I pushed with my finger on "favourites" where Mr. Gattino had saved our address. Strangely my GPS lady spoke again. But suddenly there was no light anymore and I looked at a dark screen. I gave it up, put the thing on the side seat and drove home. There I realized that I had pushed on "mute" and had also touched the button "Stand By" that's why of course it couldn't work. I had put it on my knees and had probably touched the digital screen with the sleeve of my coat. This was reason enough to finally install the holder.

Yesterday I wanted to go to IKEA on the other end of Brussels. I put the address in and started. My lady told me to go right then left and then ahead. I followed the instructions. But instead of taking me to the highway and from there directly to IKEA she decided to offer me a sightseeing and directed me direction Brussels and then into an area where I had never been despite the fact that I live here for 50 years. It was very interesting. I didn't know at all where I was. But for sure I was in the middle of the city and therefore stuck in the traffic.

Suddenly I had to turn around a church, I found it strange but then realized that I had mixed up left with right, which happens very often and she had corrected my error. Now I pinched myself in the right arm when it was right and in the left when it was left, only in my mind of course. Her voice took me on the highway which I should have taken in Waterloo but far more ahead. Then she told me that I was there and it was true IKEA was in front of me. It had taken me almost an hour to get there, my usual way does it in 25 min. I decided that on the way back I would take the Highway as I had done enough sightseeing for today.

Of course once on the highway she told me to get out at the next exit. I ignored her bravely and continued my way. Apparently she didn't agree because she told me to turn around and this on the highway ! Judging this far to dangerous I refused and continued straight ahead. A few km farer she told me again to get out. I knew what she wanted she wanted me to cross the city again but I didn't want. Finally I arrived at the exit : Waterloo and there she got it ! She directed me safely home.

Now I ask myself can I really trust her when I am in another city or even in another country where I don't know anything ? One thing is for sure : I have to train myself to know exactly where right and left is ! Do you know a trick to help me ?

9 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! You had probably pushed the "Tourist" button too! *giggles*

    Come to think about it: sometimes it could come in handy with such tourist button, maybe you should propose one to the company that makes them? *giggles*

    oh, and you've got mail from me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forget to tell you: first go to Claudies wonderful about Avignon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suggestion, leave it on mute and dark and find your own way, maybe get a map?? I use a map and I'm usually ok. In this town the river is in the middle and all the streets are in alphabetical and numerical order, so pretty easy to get around. When I get in big town I get lost, so we get a map and find our way around, or we wander around lost and use gas until we finally find the place, or find a phone and call and ask WHERE ARE WE??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Gattina
    What an hilarious story! You have always a lot of humour! Comment as tu pu supporter cette voix qui te tenait tête! Ce qui devait être une très bonne acquisition et était sencé vous simplifier la vie!!! ça me rapelle en Corse quand on a pris un taxi de la gare pour aller à notre hôtel en fait on a fait 20 minutes de voiture et le lendemain on s'est aperçu qu'on logeait à 2 minutes de la gare!!!
    Pourtant ta female GPS n'était pas mal intentionnée!!! On a fêté mon anniversaire chez ma soeur. Couscous tunisien. J'ai mangé pour trois jours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The next vehicle we get will definitely have GPS. I have thought of buying an independent one in the meantime. I think they are the most wonderful inventions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was meeting a certain blogger for lunch one day. He used his GPS and got lost...I don't think I would trust them.

    I've got a pretty good sense of direction and can read maps, so I'll stick to that, thank you.

    Talking about IKEA, I want a couple of things from there, so I'll go this afternoon. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter went to an ice bar..i think it was in Sweden....she shared many pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems to me with that GPS for a guide you'd be better off to stick with the Lifecruiser Cruises! I'm just SAYin'! You know... we ALWAYS make our destination ... and get there pretty quickly too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny story, I have heard about such experiences before and I'm one of those people myself..the good thing about GPS is that my husband and I don't fight anymore whenever we travel abroad regarding the maps (he complains I can't read it!!!) now he just shouts at the GPS system- when it brings him to weird places and I can sleep quietly or enjoy the scenery.
    Well we used our navigational system going to the Tuscany (Germany-Switzerland-Italy)and we made it so I think you can trust it , some of the roads where quite new and not registered though because the navi says there's a roundabout but there's already a highway!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !