6 Nov 2007

UNCOMPILED NEWS FROM EGYPT

Today I have some compiled news but only here from Hurghada. I worked very hard laying on my beach chair in front of the swimming pool. The tourists are mostly Russians, the real once, not those from Ukraine, who eat with fingers and have their nose hanging in their plates. These once at least are educated and don't disturb. We feel like at the black sea and not the red, because you hear russian everywhere, even the poor Egyptians now speak Putin's language.

But sometimes they still have a strange behaviour. While we were sitting in our restaurant, built in false rocks with view on the very blue sea and waited for our lunch, a young woman came by looked at our bread basket full of delicious rolls, and without saying a word, dived in with her fingers took out a roll and went away. We all looked a little surprised and at each other, when another appeared and also took a roll. I told my friends knowing the russians to save money the whole group will pass by and take our rolls. I just finished my sentence that a third one appeared. This time Ilona who has hungarian blood running in her veins got up took the basked with the rolls and shouted :"now it's enough "! the third one who had waited already quickly disappeard !

Today we almost sat on our bread basket, too much is to much, if at least they had asked for it !
The fish of the red sea tastes wonderful and is so fresh that it nearly still swims on your plate.

Tonight we attend a supper with an Egyptian show.

Haggling is part of every shopping except in the Hotel of course. My friends are so amazed of the cheap prices of silver or gold jewelry, that every evening I had to go with them in jewelry shops and haggle, because this is part of the folklore and you should never pay the price they ask for. Usually they double the price so you have to offer under half of the price and then with tears and tissues and complaints that I would ruin their lifes, their wives and children would die of hunger, I finally obtain then half of the asked price. And then it's the big laughter, you are offered a cup of tea and a long chat follows and everybody is happy. For a wonderful bracelet in silver with turquoises we only payed 30 Euros instead of 75 !

18 comments:

  1. I am a bread addict! No one touches my bread, no one! Those Russians would die!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fish ... is so fresh that it nearly still swims on your plate. Loved it!!!
    Can't believe those roll thieves! Nice new profile picture, Gattina, the Red Sea air seems to be good for you :)
    Have fun at that dinner and haggling over jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! See... I would HAVE to take you with me! I am NOT a haggler! I say "oh... 75? Okay!" and dish out the money! Or I say TOO MUCH and walk away! NO SALE!

    Those roll thieves are too funny! I think maybe you were on Candid Camera!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alors Gattina on dirait que tu t'amuses bien! Encore des russes qui n'ont pas d'éducation! ça alors! Ils le font exprès ou quoi! Ce soir tu dois passer une belle soirée! Profite bien et bravo pour avoir marchandé ton bracelet en argent! tu pourras nous le montrer en photo?
    A bientôt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOu go girl....you are so my hero. I'm a terrible haggler. There is a real art to it and it sounds like even the merchants enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you make it sound so wonderful. I can just imagine those Russians taking your bread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You seem to be having a lovely time in spite of the classless bread thieves. In North American, by the third person they might get a fork jabbed through the back of their hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Say hello to Egypt and the Red Sea for me. I have not been there in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My god Bread roll thiefs what next Yuk and touching the rolls with dirty hands my tummy churns at the thought of it,,, enjoy the rest of your holiday...

    ReplyDelete
  10. ROFL Gattina. I love your description of the Russians and the bread theives. I am still laughing. And I know who to call if I ever need to haggle. I am horrible at it. Have a great vacation. I look forward to hearing more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hallo, meine Liebe!

    Erholst Du Dich denn auch gut?
    Wie warm ist es denn in Ägypten?

    Unfaßbar, dass die Euch das Brot gemopst haben! Ich glaub, mir hätte es die Sprache verschlagen!

    Lass es Dir gut gehen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haggling is a part of the shopping experience in Mexico as well. Sounds like you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you are having a nice time there haggling and protecting your bread :) I would love to see that bracelet though. I am quite intrigue.. you got it even under half the price. wow! you are an expert. I'm very bad with bargaining although I come from Southeast Asia and haggling is part of our lives there too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haggling. I hate haggling and never do it. But I used to be very amused at people who used to argue over who would be paying for the coatcheck when I used to work at the theatre. It was totally a ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have some of the weirdest encounters.

    People stealing the bread off your table. Wha?????

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love fresh fish, but I don't like the idea of people taking the rolls I have paid for. What a cheek.

    Sounds like you're having a good time, Gattina. You are missed so I hope you have plenty of good stories to post when you return.

    Enjoy the Red Sea and watch those Russians!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wheeee... you are in Egypt. Wow!

    I can't believe the Russians are so bold as to steal rolls from nice old ladies.

    I hate haggling but I'm a good haggler. I usually offer a third of the price they quote. hehe....

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha - The Russians and your Bread basket. Haha. What a story

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !