15 Oct 2007

MANIC MONDAY - BAT


MANIC MONDAY LINK

There is not much choise to write about the word which Mo has given us for today. I am sure he must have his head full of bats, pumpkins, witches, graveyards and skeletons for the forthcoming Halloween where bats play a big role. I thought writing about a baseball bat, but I never had one and nobody plays it here around, I don't bat my eyelashes anymore to seduce (please note the anymore) and won't go bat with anybody. Therefore the only thing which remains is the famous BAT !

I found some pictures of this charming beast in the net.



This is a drawing of a certain german Ernst Haekel who was an animal illustrator and named this"Artforms of Nature". I can now understand that the poor bat is used for Halloween purposes !



but they also can look quite decorative, these wings are pretty !



They eat insects ! Here is one eating a moth. For those who have moth problems, hire a bat !


and isn't that cute how they look to hide in warm places when it's cold ?



Bat babies are really very tiny !

And as these poor animals are so strange looking like flying mice or rats they scared people ! They made them to pets for witches and vampires, Dracula had not a dog but bats and they serve now for Halloween. Here are a few examples !







14 comments:

  1. wow, what wonderful and vivid pictures for today's theme. Loved your apartment post too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I never heard of bats described as cute, but I guess it is kind of cute the way they burrow in.

    Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once had a bat in very own bedroom...got into my college apartment when I opened the door for the paper, I guess. I only remember seeing it crawling under my door and I got out of the room closing the door as soon as possible. Woke up my two roommates but we were helpless, we used our textbooks on the floor to avoid the bat escaping under the door (textbooks are useful sometimes!) It gave us an excuse to wake up the boys next door :)
    The had a great sense of humor and dressed properly for the bat mission!
    Hey, I could have posted my own manic monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You inspired me, meine liebe, my manic monday post is up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That next to last picture looks kind of like the bat just smacked into the screen of my computer. Hee hee hee!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great MM post! Thanx for visiting my blog today as well.

    peace, Villager

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such work for a marvelous, interesting post, Gattina! Come visit me!

    Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of the photographs today were wonderful. It is a shame bats have such a fearsome reputation, because they are so useful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well done Gattina. Very well indeed. Have a great MM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo some creepy bat pics! Nice MM post.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww the little babies are so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read both posts today, the apartment is very cool, great pictures. And Gattina, I bet you still bat your eyes!

    Once my parents had a bat in the shed/family room part of their house in Canada, the door was closed and when I went down to use the bathroom, there was all this noise behind a door and I thought it was my parents fooling around. Unfortunately, it was just them trying to get a bat out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bats truly are one of nature's weirder looking creatures. Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !