28 Sept 2007

SEEING FRIENDS AFTER 25 YEARS

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
"Original" pictures are here


Click on "X" to make the pictures bigger

When we were at the Garda Lake of course we had to visit old friends. One of Mr. Gattino's oldest friends from the 60th lived also near the lake but in the mountains. The first time I had seen him I was 24 and he although married, was still a tourist hunter. He always was dressed in the latest fashion only brand marks, smoked like a chemney, drank like a spunge and talked like a machine gun. I didn't like him, I feared he would badly influence Mr. Gattino. His wife was a witty, pretty girl despite the worries she had with her light hearted husband.

So I was quite curious to see them again after maybe 25 years. To my big surprise I found a very nice grandpa whose only interest were his two grandchildren a 10 year old boy and a 7 year old girl. He was dressed very casually and from the playboy was nothing left. He didn't smoke anymore and only drank wine during meals.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketX
In his garden he had transformed one of the garages into a kitchen well equipped with everything a good housewife would need and there he cooked with pleasure it had become his hobby. Of course he immediately invited us for supper. He didn't know exactly how many people we would be, but that didn't bother him at all, he had a pan and a pot of the size for a boyscout team. What he prepared was declicious. Fresh home made pasta with Carbonara sauce.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketX
The sauce consisted of roasted bacon cubes (with a special flavour) eggs and parmesan cheese.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketX
Finally we were around 12 people, neighbors his son and the grandchildren.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketX
There were also two very well fed cats.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketX
His son Fabrizio of course I didn't recognize, last time I had seen him he must have been around 3 or 4 and we laughed together when I told him that I had fed him with the baby bottle !

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketX
On the oposite side of the kitchen in a second garage, he had installed himself a hobby room with television and sofa, where he spend most of his time. His wife the nice girl had become another person. She still looked very nice but didn't even join us. She sat in their appartment on the 3rd floor. When I saw her living room, I almost fainted. The walls were full of pictures of the last two popes, all saints, the holy Mary in all variations and silver, wooden or ceramic crosses with Jesus from blond to brown hanging on them. If at least the popes would have looked like Brad Pitt or George Clooney ! I respect religions, but I don't like fanatic people. We didn't have anything in commun anymore. Now I also could understand why Valerio mostly lived in his garden and came only upstairs to sleep. It's a miracle that their boy has become such a nice and normal man !
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket X
This was the view they had out of their appartment. Unfortunately the sun was already gone and you can't see the lake in the background.

9 comments:

  1. what drives them apart ? and what holds them together.
    odd....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Perfect for the theme. It really is strange how things turn out. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wife is how my mother was! No wonder my poor hubby lives in fear - right? May I NEVER become like that!
    It sounds like you had a delightful visit though with the man and his son! And that is good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 25 years? Wow, that's a long time. And in 25 years obviously they both change a lot. I just wish that despite their changes they still have feelings for each other. But sounds like they're growing apart from the sound of your post. Oh dear...

    Still, I'm glad you met up with old friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds so Italian!! the meal, the friends, the big table, I mean. Wonderful. Poor wife, she doesn't know what she is missing! She can have her religion and faith, but it still is rude of her that she didn't join you for that lovely meal.
    Wait: maybe it was lovely because she wasn't there, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just LOVE experiences like that. The true original thing. Locals. I love to see the local people when I'm travelling - and if invited to their home - I'm in heaven. No matter how it is, if only they not are mean. I find it so interesting to see how their lives is.

    I could feel the atmosphere in this post. I'd have loved to be there - despite the wife. And I admire that man, he has done the most positive he can out of the situation. That is truly admirable.

    C U 2morrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Un vrai film italien! C'est le début d'un grand scénario! A demain, pour de nouvelles aventures italiennes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great gathering and how lovely to hear you still keep in touch!

    What a handy man - I just love his hobby room :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmmm.... I wonder how Valerio looked like 25 years ago.

    Like our deap Captain Lifecruiser, I love to see the local people when I visit another country. I like to see how they live, eat etc. Such an experience is interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !