24 Sept 2007

MANIC MONDAY - KIT

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
MANIC MONDAY LINK



A SURPRISING PLACE



We left the Garda lake on saturday morning. Our car was so packed that not even one bar of KitKat would have fit in there. It wasn't because I had bought Italian shoes, leather jackets or clothes no, it was because of Italian food !


During the whole week of our stay, friends and family anxious that we would die of the bad food quality in other countries brought us wine, cheese, ham, beef, saussages, self made conserves of vegetables (especially green and red pepper) home made pasta sauces of all kind and of course self made pasta. All my protests that it wasn't necessary and we could find these products in Belgium too were useless and anyway nobody believed me. Mr. Gattino behaved like a hamster and with radiant eyes and watering mouth collected everything. Of course the wine was from the cousin of the brother of an uncle, the cheese from a friend's friend who's brother made the cheese himself, the meat came from a friends father's uncle whose brother in law had a butchery and so on. I have to admit that the whole stuff is really very good. The last holes in the car were filled up with Italian crime stories and other books so that I am now able to open an Italian library. Well equipped we could now return to our home, where people were in bad health because of bad food quality. With this whole kit and caboodle we drove towards north.


The highway (motorway) was fully packed with returning tourists of all countries and the first jam happened at the toll station for the highway in Italy, there you have to pay. Next was the Europe's bridge* which connects Italy to Austria over the high mountains where you have to pay again. In Austria you only have to pay once for 2 weeks, one months or a year for using the highway. In Germany it is free but we got stuck before Munich. The Oktoberfest had started at 12 am sharp and there were a lot of people going to Munich to get their beer and fun. I listened to the radio and heard that 4000 toilets and 2000 pissoirs had been installed to welcome around 10 million people from all over the world.


After 8 h driving I had enough. I pushed on an invisible button on Mr. Gattino who drove like a robot only thinking about his 5 cats at home now and asked him to take the next exit to look for a hotel.

We landed in Geiselwind (litteraly translated "hostage wind"). It was a charming "town" of 2323 inhabitants in Lower Franconia (Bavaria) maybe they are now 2326 since Wikipedia published this information. There were about 15 half timbered houses around the cute little church. It looked very beautiful and cosy.



I got out of the car to the only hotel and asked if they had a room. They had. And to my surprise for a quite cheap price only 53 € !






The inside of the surprisingly big hotel.


It had 3 restaurants and the owner had at least 10 awards for good cooking on the wall. And he was an excellent cook. I had a trout which was so fresh it almost still moved on my plate. Mr. Gattino had a Wiener Schnitzel, which is of veal. The fish was catched in the to the Hotel belonging river and the meat came from the to the Hotel belonging butchery. The same was with the delicious rolls we had next day for breakfast, the bakery also belonged to the hotel. The jam was homemade of course. And I learned that you only have good food in your own country. Apparently the Italians in Italy and the Germans in Germany.


The Hotel was built in 1580, housed a catholic congregation and became an Inn in 1875. An historic place ! But we didn't sleep in an 1580 old bed, the room was was very modern with TV and bathroom of course.



In the restaurant I found this hanging on the wall. Apparently this place was also well known by American military and when we had our supper there were 10 American guests around a table in this lost village !

The next day we drove home smoothly there were no trucks on the highway they are not allowed to drive on highways in Germany on a Sunday. We didn't need our emergency kit or any others and arrived home safely where we were greated by our 5 cats.



*Europabrücke, or Europe's bridge, is a 777-m (2,549.2-ft.) long bridge spanning the 657-m (2,155.5-ft.) Wipp valley just south of Innsbruck, Austria. The A13 Brenner Autobahn passes over this bridge, above the Sill River, forming part of the main route from Austria to Italy across the Alps. Built between 1959 and 1963, it was once Europe's highest bridge, standing 192 m (629.9 ft.) high.


21 comments:

  1. what a beautiful hotel you found by accident!! Have a great monday--beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bonjour Gattina
    Juste un petit coucou car je pars travailler! Ton billet est très intéressant! J'adore la bonne bouffe faite maison! Vous allez vous régaler! Ton hotel a l'air super! La déco est très sympa. Bon alors je pense que maintenant tu dois être très très propre après toutes les langues de chat de Rosie!!!
    Passe une bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been missing your posts to go with my morning coffee!!! as usual I loved your post, loved imagining Mr Gattino's behaving "like a hamster with radiant eyes and watering mouth"
    and the Italian relatives arriving absolutely loaded with food and beverages to rescue you from starving in Belgium!! how cute! it's all meant with so much love and caring, it is truly adorable even though you now don't know where to store everything.
    MIL and friends always have a little package for us with sausages and smoked ham when we return to Spain. I don't touch those!!

    You found a lovely hotel to appreciate good German cuisine :)
    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a nice place to visit..hope someday!great day!
    mine is up too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd stay there in a minute, given the chance. I love places like that.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mischief managed - writing a story with "kit" =)

    Happy MM, Miss Gattina!

    P.S.: You´re married to a hamster???
    My hooman mommy will have to explain this to me...

    *wau* *wau*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home!!!!

    Haha, I laughed loud at your describing of the bringing of all the stuff in the emergency kit. How typical, but also very nice. I hope the food survived the trip. And I guess that Mr Gattino were in heaven! *giggles*

    I would have loved to stay at that hotel, my, good price and good food, could it be any better? *s*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful travelogue. You were fortunate to find such a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great post! there is really no place like home. thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived in Germany for three years... your post has brought back many memories :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fun trip! hope you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bavaria, maybe my favorite place in all the world. I did several post about that area in March, I think I may bring some of those post back as best of Sarge Charlie, My post were centered around Berchesgaden

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! Yes I will bookmark you and return! Thanks so much for visting me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome home....sounds like a wonderful journey and adventure. Love the pictures and your descriptions made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds like a lovely trip! happy MM :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love reading about traveling through Europe, and I felt like I was seeing and tasting everything in your post.

    But being the beer lover that I am, I admit I did get distracted by one thing...

    Oktoberfest is already being celebrated???

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a quaint, wonderfully comforting hotel!!

    Ummmmmmmmm, do you Belgians share your Italian wine? *sniff* ---I can smell some behind your back!!------Come on...share.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post, I can so imagine them loading you up with food and wine. I love the idea of each country having individual food that you can't get elsewhere. It's one of the things that I regret about modern communications and globalisation, that you can go into any supermarket and it looks almost the same in any country.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey geiselwind is very close to my house. i life in herzogenaurach witch is a 1000 years old town. nice photos

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely hotel!

    Thansk for visiting my MM today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great trip. I would love to go someday. Have a great MM Gattina. :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !